Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Day 163

New Years Eve. 

Where everyone feels they can let their hair down and becomes someone else for the night. A night where new years resolutions are promised and a to do list for the following year begins to form. Most people will reflect on the NEGATIVES of the year - what went wrong? What didn't I do? What did I do wrong? What could I do better? 

Last year, my best friend and I and a few other friends, sat around the table and said 10 things we were grateful for that had occurred that year. It was the most powerful, positive and happy experience. This year I urge you all to do the same. What are 10 things that you are proud of, loved doing, made you feel energised? And focus on them tonight as you all sit and drink and natter and reflect upon the year. 

My suggestion for your resolutions? Make one thing for sure: Have a box on top of your fridge, that you scribble down notes and place them in throughout the year. Notes about funny things that were said, amazing achievements you have done, gratefuls, or just silly things. Then pull out this box and read it on new years eve next year. You will be pleasantly surprised how quickly it gets filled up and how many things you forget over the course of the year! 

Another thing about resolutions is: Only YOU can make them come true. So make ones that are achievable and are something you are willing to do! i.e. don't say I want to run a marathon if you never even go for a walk and have bad knees. You might instead say, accomplish a 10km walk. And then tie a feeling to it - when I accomplish this…I will feel…

My question to you tonight is what is different about a new years resolution, compared with any other life changes? Remember that any day can be a day to start something - or a 'Monday' so to speak. Don't let the date of the 31st December fool you into believing otherwise. 

Other than that, go and surround yourselves with people you love. Reflect on the year gone - but don't focus on ONLY the bad things, and challenge yourself to try something different! 

…Until Tomorrow xox

No comments:

Post a Comment