Saturday, October 18, 2014

Day 130

I started thinking about digestion tonight (mainly because I have some tummy problems) and how everything we consume, takes it's time going through our digestive tract where the good bits are absorbed and the not-so-good bits are eliminated. Then I started thinking about how this can pertain to information that we receive. 

Information is being received all the time, every second. Visually - what you are seeing, what is in your periphery, colours, shapes, textures. Tactilely - what the chair feels like, textures etc. Smell - flowers, linen, animals, cooking. Hearing - subtle and obvious sounds - birds, trucks, heater, tv, music. And then of course orally - what you are putting in, what it tastes like etc. All of this is happening as you read this. Information is being sent to your brain constantly - no wonder it's tiring when you're awake!

What really got me when I started on this train of thought though was that we often don't allow ourselves time to process the information we are given. Of course through all of our senses, but the one that I didn't mention was our mental state - what our thoughts are telling us - how we are feeling. Like our digestive system, we should take the time to process information let it 'digest' so to speak, hold on to the good stuff and let go of the not-so-good stuff. 

This is what I have been talking about lots throughout this blog - focussing on the good and positive and acknowledging and letting go of the negative. I thought that this was an interesting way to look at it though and it makes it easier for me to associate digesting information with something that is a physical and factual. 

So, really we should allow ourselves time to digest information. Those who struggle to say no can take this and use it to allow themselves time to come to a decision - "Can I get back to you on that, I need some time to think" aka digest!

Mmm…Food for thought (excuse the pun!) 

…Until Tomorrow xox 

No comments:

Post a Comment