Monday, August 11, 2014

Day 72 realistic vs negativity?

What I thought I would talk about tonight, it the difference between a 'realist' and someone being negative. A lot of people have crossed my path recently that when I have said something (nicely of course) about their negativity they have commented that they are a 'realist' and aren't in fact negative. 


My first thought was that you can be realistic but not in a negative way. Because negative emotions cause all sorts of havoc in us…make us sick, attract negative people and affect our motivation and work productivity. So being realistic would mean that you understand what is happening and don't add idealistic styles to the situation. Then I thought…mmm perhaps I'm wrong? Perhaps all realistic people are negative? So I set sail to do some research and here's what I found…

Realist definition - a person who tends to view or represent things as they really are. 

Negative character definitioncharacterized by the absence of distinguishing or markedqualities or features; lacking positive attributes.

It's been a really interesting journey to find out what the difference between optimism, pessimism and realism. And there are so many debates about all of the different types!! But from all of the readings I did, one thing came through quite strongly. That was that despite the differences (all have the good and not so good qualities) between them, positivity around your life, decisions and outlook on situation was the most beneficial quality. 




So it is possible to be a positive realist - look at a situation and see it for what it is with a positive take. It doesn't matter what category you are in, or the need to even fit into one for that matter. It's the ability to remain in a positive frame of mind and look for those opportunities that you can turn into something positive.


…Until Tomorrow xox

No comments:

Post a Comment