Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Day 107


"What a first world problem". 

I hear that so frequently now. I understand that in our country and in our circumstance we are very fortunate and are able to have a roof over our heads, food in our tummy, jobs to go to, healthy lifestyle and creature comforts. Which is a lot more than the majority of the worlds population. 

But I think why my back gets arched a little in this comment, is that problems or issues are relative. What affects one person is very different to what affects another. And further to that everyone handles problems differently. REGARDLESS of what "world" you are living in. 

What frustrates me the most about this comment, is when it is said without knowing the background behind someones comment. Such as, overhearing someone complaining about their phone going flat and assuming they have been texting too much. But what if their context was they had just gotten a call from a hospital about their sick mother and the phone cut out before they could find out why they rang? 

It's interesting, in that yes we need to be mindful that we are lucky to have the things that we do, such as phones and cars and houses etc, but when you live in a society where you need to utilise things for your daily life, losing them can mean that you do struggle to continue to live healthily and happily. 

I feel like I'm babbling tonight. But I guess what I'd love people to remember is that we never know what someone else is going through, so it's best not to be judgemental. And not to be hard on yourself. Your allowed to have a problem - even if it is considered one that isn't as relative in someone else's life. 

Choose your words carefully, and be kind to yourself :) 

…Until Tomorrow xox

No comments:

Post a Comment